Anytime a task is performed at an elevation, such as shelf stacking or offloading a big truck, there is a fall risk. Additionally, falls at the ground surface into trenches, pits, or pipe openings are possible.
A variety of highly acclaimed courses are appropriate for both employers and employees in multiple roles and with distinct levels of expertise and key competencies that regularly work at heights.
The RIIWHS204D ‘Working Safely at Heights Course‘ is an example. This thorough beginner course is intended to teach employees how to use personalised fall arrest systems and tools as well as efficiently reduce and manage the dangers caused by sudden falls.
Throughout this blog, you will come across the legal criteria for this course, the topics it includes, and the advantages of passing it.
Is This Course Necessary If You Use a Step Ladder in the Workplace?
No matter what height an employee must work to complete a task, the employer is still responsible for guaranteeing their safety. Businesses might be required to provide evidence of their safety policies and training in case an accident occurs.
To conduct the accessibility and operate safely, the training should cover the proper choice of accessories and PPE. Completing Working Safely at Heights might not be considered essential when working with a step ladder in a setting like a workplace.
Despite that, a company would typically be obligated to sign a Safe Work Method Declaration that lists the specific dangers that might be experienced while continuing to work on a flight of stairs in a user-friendly environment. The company also needs to provide sufficient training to fulfil every assignment safely.
Working Safely At Heights Course: What Does It Cover? What Can You Expect?
Every participant will learn the following things from the course:
- Ways to carry out risk evaluations and implement controls
- Every personalised fall prevention gear must undergo pre- and after-use inspections
- Showcase fall prevention, workplace posture, and immobilisation methods
- Roofing surface loads
- Picking and checking pre-use connection points
- The utilisation of retractable life rafts
- Knowledge of height protection laws and regulations
- Understanding suspension trauma
- Ways to determine, pick and properly fit fall arrest harnesses
- Utilisation equipment and materials safely
- Setting up temporary roof safety protocols
- Proper anchorage loop wiring
Perks of the Course
- Due to their increased confidence in using their fall prevention gear, your staff will indeed be capable of completing their tasks faster and more effectively.
- Your ability to grow your solutions into growing sectors and swiftly organise your workforce to take on all those projects that initially looked out of range will depend on having practised and prepared staff.
- More tasks and assignments will be possible for your staff to complete.
- It will be easier to prevent possible workplace hazards and the lawsuits or inquiries that may follow because you’ll have made efforts to safeguard your employees’ well-being and safety.
- You will acquire the critical knowledge and abilities needed to safeguard you and your colleagues from the risks posed by working at altitudes.
- Your technical expertise will expand, increasing your eligibility for particular tasks and assignments.
Whether you’re an employer or an employee, the Working Safely at Heights course is essential and highly beneficial. Although there are numerous height safety programs offered by various training companies, not every one of these programs is recognised nationally.
Pick a nationally approved course to ensure that the summative assessments are of the finest quality and comply with regulations.